My blog has moved! Redirecting…

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://www.sarahfobes.com/ and update your bookmarks.

Monday, December 10, 2007

The Golden Compass


Reason 1 to see Golden Compass - Polar Bears that Fight Guys and Other Bears.

Reason 2 to see Golden Compass - This guy.

Here's what I think about The Golden Compass. The original story is incredibly cool and very complex. I can see the evidence of that sprinkled casually all over this movie. There are themes here that are important and meaningful but you really have to dig for them. Science versus religion as the fundamental storyline should be the highlight but I thought that the core of the film seemed overshadowed by the lush environments and breathtaking scenery. There is a chance that if the other two films in this trilogy end up getting made, that the real strength of the story will be conveyed. I hope they do make the next two films because I really love where this is going, I'm just not totally sold yet...the pacing was awkward, and I was sad to not get more Daniel Craig. However, I love those polar bears and I LOVE Sam Elliott. His hair and voice are reason enough to see this.

3 Comments:

Blogger Caitlin said...

Since you are partial to the film, don't read the book. Novels obviously have the advantage when it comes to fully developing complex stories, but I couldn't help expecting more from the onscreen adaptation - fewer contrived plot reveals and better development of the character relationships. Now that they've got the visuals down (gorgeous!), let's see if they can improve the story in the next one.

4:36 PM  
Blogger @ said...

Terribly terribly edited, and almost to the point of being incomprehensible/jerky. It felt like every other scene had been cut out, characters and situations go unexplained, relationships are undeveloped, and the plot is left with gaping holes.

I thought the acting was good though and really well-cast (totally agree with you on Sam Elliot!). The visuals were great but then again who cares if the story sucks.

This one is right up there with the first Narnia movie. (which also has some potential to be rescued by sequels)

12:53 PM  
Blogger @ said...

I love your blog tagline by the way... hehe, maybe it's been there for a while but I just noticed.

"Film. Science. Eyewear." -awesome

5:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home