My blog has moved! Redirecting…

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://www.sarahfobes.com/ and update your bookmarks.

Saturday, July 28, 2007

The Simpsons movie is unpossibly good.


The Simpsons are a huge part of my generation's pop culture. They've been on television since I was 12 years old, and I don't know anyone who doesn't at least know one line from the show. Admittedly, I have missed lots of the episodes from the past few seasons, it has gotten a smack dry, but it's still funnier than 75% of the shitcoms on tv. There's been talk of a Simspons movie for at least a decade, and there's a lot of expectation from the hordes of fan-nerds.
Hammer and I went to a sold out afternoon showing yesterday at the Paramount. The audience was made up of a surprising amount of kids who looked no older than 15, which surprised me. They were in Pampers when the greatest seasons of the Simpsons had long passed. Obviously, I looked on these young punks with eye-rolling judgement, and of course, they proved me right, not getting the subtle jokes, laughing at the obvious pratfalls and even making grossed out noises when two male (cartoon!) characters kiss. Dear rotten cellphoney teenagers, Evan Almighty is playing somewhere, please leave the sophisticated humor for the big kids.
All that said, the movie was great. It is irreverant, layered, smart and even touching. My only complaint is that there isn't enough facetime given to some of the best supporting characters. Ralph, Milhouse, Apu, Smithers...everyone else..is woefully underused. The pig is funny, but deserving of more screen time than Moe? Come on. I want to see it again soon, because like the television episodes, there is a lot of hilarity that went unnoticed on the first viewing. There is also something SO brilliant about being able to see them on a huge screen - they wear it well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home